Suspects offered deal in murder case
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
UTICA, N.Y. -- Two men charged with second-degree murder in the 2011 homicide of a Utica man were offered plea deals Thursday.
Dominique Cook and Octavius Garrett both face charges in connection with the shooting death of Anthony Garner. The exact terms of the deal have yet to be released but both men will be shown the evidence against them.
Much of the evidence will be the same evidence brought against a third defendant, Marshall Jackson in his conviction earlier this year. That includes a surveillance video which shows three men beating Garner, and two men shooting him.
Garrett's Attorney said he hasn't made a decision on the deal but he contests his client's involvement in the shooting.
"The tape simply displays harassment, I think, in the second degree, which is a violation, not a crime, possibly assault, assault in the third degree, a misdemeanor. I don't know that it shows anything more than that, at least in regard to my client, if that were him," said Christopher Pelli, Defense Attorney.
Dominique Cook's attorney declined to comment. Both men are due back in court in late September.