Car catches on fire in Watertown
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
WATERTOWN, N.Y. -- Traffic on State Route 12 in the Town of Watertown was brought to a standstill Tuesday after an SUV burst into flames.
Firefighters were quick to the scene and doused the flames and the driver was able to get out okay.
Crews determined that an overheated catalytic converter started the fire. They say that you can’t always prevent a fire from happening, but there are precautions that vehicle owners can take.
“You need to keep it clear of snow and ice, not just the windows and all that, but underneath, because it could get into your under well, into your vehicle suspension system and can cause a problem for you,” said William Bamann, Second Assistant chief with the Town of Watertown Fire Department.
Most car fires occur in older vehicles and can also be caused by bad wiring in stereo systems, debris collecting under a heated seat or overheated engines.